Friday, October 7, 2011

The Immersion Effect


What is the Immersion Effect? I have asked myself this question every day I have been on the Blackfeet Reservation. The Immersion Effect goes far beyond making connections with kids in need, the Immersion Effect is one of self-discovery. Discovering your strengths and discovering your weaknesses, who you are and who you want to become.

I am writing this with the knowledge that much of my life has yet to be decided, many paths not ventured, and many experiences not had. However, everything is put into perspective after seeing what the children of Browning, Montana struggle with. My problems are small, my future has unlimited paths. Immersion students must use their experience and their knowledge to help improve their own lives and the future of DLSBS students. No matter what the size of the impact, one is nevertheless made.

Of all the Immersion groups that work with DLSBS, we would be naive to think that we have single-handedly created an astronomical number of opportunities for the children of Browning. Perhaps collectively, the Immersion groups have created just one path, just one path that can lead to a future away from crime or poverty, a path that leads to happiness.

So what is the Immersion Effect. To call it life changing would be an understatement. This experience will most likely dictate the second half of my life and the ideas that I hold true throughout.

In the end, the Immersion Effect is one that challenges everything you know about not just the people around you but yourself as well.

M. DuPlessis '12