Friday, October 7, 2011

End of the Line

Christian Motta
At first, I was apprehensive about embarking on this trip. Even with the numerous weekly meetings explaining almost every aspect of the trip and what we would be undertaking, I was still completely unsure of what to expect. It would be my first experience with both working with small children in a classroom environment and life on a reservation. I knew this was going to be an adventure.

When we got off the train and saw the town of Browning laid out before us, it became apparent that life here was very different than what I had grown accustomed to in Pittsburgh. That same feeling of apprehension again manifested itself as we boarded the bus to go to the school for the first time. This time, however, it was mixed with a feeling of excitement. I was ready to finally meet the kids that I had traveled so far to work with.

My first day with the fourth grade here was certainly an experience in itself. They were very energetic and friendly, but they did not seem to care too much about school. It was almost frustrating to work with them at first, but as time went on, they began to get more and more focused. There was a noticeable change in attitude from the start of the day to its end. This increase in focus persisted throughout the week. By Thursday, I found them to be willing to do their work and I found myself happy to work with them. Sitting here on this final Friday, I realize how sad I will be to have to leave them behind. It has been a wonderful experience working with them, and I will miss the challenges and rewards that this trip has brought me. I am happy that I was able to have this experience, and I have no doubt that my fellow students feel the same way.

C. Motta '13