Friday, October 5, 2012

A New Way of Living

Prior to our immersion trip to the Blackfeet Indian reservation, I had a completely different perspective on Native Americans. I had read about the problems of poverty and alcoholism that afflict reservations. Getting here and meeting the children and adults, my perspective has completely changed. All of the adults have been very nice and helpful to me, and the children have been engaging.

When we pulled into the train station at East Glacier Park in Montana, I immediately noticed the beauty of Montana's majestic landscape. With the Rocky Mountains in the backround and a lake right in front of me, I snapped a picture off my phone to capture the moment.

Glacier Park



This immersion trip has changed my perspective on many things. It has changed my idea of what is necessary for survival. For example, I don’t need to eat every time I am the slightest bit hungry. As an immersion group, we ate a very simple meal each day for lunch. Also, I have noticed that the children here don’t have all the things I have, but they seem to be just as happy as me!

Sam Fallon '13 Playing "Zombie"



Overall, the immersion trip has changed my life and shown me a whole new way of living. I did not think I would really enjoy helping out in a Native American school, but I enjoyed it very much.

Sam Fallon '13