Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Things We Share

I am sitting and staring at a piece of artwork that was given to me by one of the 5th grade students that I am working with at DLSBS this week. She was one of the students that opened up to me immediately. I was not expecting to become that close with any of the students on the first day. Why would this student want anything to do with a high school student from the other side of the country? Why would another student tell me personal stories about her life? The fact that the one story ended with this young girl saving the life of her two older sisters was truly inspiring. These stories made me feel the pain inside her.

I quickly realized why a young male student turned his back to me on the first day but by mid-day was asking me for help. We both realized that we are all in this world together. We share so many similarities. It is not hard to relate to these young students. Although I was initially anxious about how I would relate to the students, I now realize that all of the nerves were unnecessary. Relating to the kids just happens naturally. For example, I overheard a student singing a song that literally hit home with me. The student was singing the refrain of No Sleep by Wiz Khalifa. I mentioned that Wiz was from my hometown of Pittsburgh. He realized that the song Black and Yellow was about the city of Pittsburgh and we both started singing the refrain. About 7 of the 11 students joined in and we were all singing it through the hallway to our next class.
      
At another point, I notice a student is not paying attention during religion class and is doodling in her binder. She is drawing a picture of her future "dream house". The picture takes up a whole page. This picture is more than just lines and circles on a page; it is a picture of hope. It shows the dreams that these kids have. It shows that they want more for themselves. As they will sadly realize or have already realized, the only way for them to attain their "dream house" is to leave the reservation at some point to attain further education or a better job than would be available on the rez. It truly inspires me that despite the background that these kids come from, they have the desire to come to school every day and learn with energy and hope to thrive in this truly unique LaSallian community.

N. Bozzo '13