Friday, October 4, 2013

Being Family

The group descends the Buffalo Jump
Have you ever been away from your family for a week?  Have you ever gone to another state with your friends and not know what to expect? Well this week was the first time I wasn't just away from my immediate family for a extended period of time, but also my first time away with my peers. This week started with a fun and interesting voyage to the great state of Montana. We departed from Pittsburgh International Airport on Saturday both nervous and excited. After many connecting flights, long waits, and a ten hour train ride, we arrived early Sunday morning in Browning, Montana. Once we reached our destination, Brother Ray was waiting with open arms eager to greet us and show us this place he calls home. Our first night on the reservation consisted of going to the mission, meeting the teachers, and getting a home cooked meal from Brother Dale. As I chatted with the teachers and Brothers, they informed me what was in store and to have an open mind about the school and the students. After hearing their kind words of advice, I was anxious to go to sleep and prepare myself for the challenge ahead.

The group returns from a hike
The next day, I was awoken by the voice of Mr. Sudnik at about 6:15am. Tired and grumpy, I awoke and got a quick shower, had breakfast, and then we were off to school. School started with playing a very intense game of basketball, followed by morning prayer. After that, James Stupar and I made the long walk down the hall to the sixth grade classroom not knowing what to expect. We went into the classroom and were greeted by the students. We observed how the students act and how the teacher instructs the children throughout the day. The long, eight hour school day was not what I had anticipated but was definitely worth it. I learned a lot about my students and each one's personalities and work ethic. When the day came to an end, I was excited to come back and help the students more, and also anxious to see what kind of dinner Sam and Mike were cooking for us. Dinner was very good (not as good as mine), and the subsequent group discussion was necessary to properly reflect on our experiences of the day. During the discussion, we reflected on how the day went, what problems we faced, and how we can make each day better and better.

Snacking and talking around the table
The next days of class continued to get better, and the students began to like me more and more. I was able to become friends with many of my students and connected with them in a way I did not anticipate. Some students embraced my presence more than others, but I was not upset because I probably would have felt the same way if I had different groups of visitors come to my school every week.



Herding horses back to their field
Nevertheless, I am truly glad that I had the opportunity to enter into these kids' lives and see what it is like being in another place and culture. I think the most significant thing I gained from this week is that we are all family no matter where we are from, what color our skin is, what language we speak, or in what we believe. Being a family and having others think about you and care for you is something that is saldly not experienced by all people. This family connection is why I'm so thankful that I was able to experience another part of the world and interact with other people that made an impact in my own life. 
I would just like to say thanks to the Blackfeet Nation, the sixth grade students, my family, and my school for letting me travel across the country and experience Montana and all the wonders of it. 

Bill Butterfield '14