Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Joe 'Big Crow' Bremner and Blackfeet Spirituality


James Constantin's perspective on the Blackfeet Culture and the role of immersion groups the DLSBS: 

Joe 'Big Crow' Bremner
Upon entering Browning and the De La Salle Blackfeet School, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. How influential was their culture in daily life? What significance does it play in the childrens' lives? Coming from a second generation European family, and having had the privilege to travel to the places of my ancestors, I find it hard to imagine what it would be like to not know where it was I came from. But for many of the Blackfeet Nation that's exactly how it is. The significance of knowing your roots and heritage is more important than anyone could imagine. Many of us take it for granted everyday. We are all privileged to know who we are and where we came from. While having dinner with Joe 'Big Crow' Bremner last night, some wise words were spoken. Joe said "you cant know where it is your going if you don't know where it is you came from." I believe this holds true for many of the kids in the school, that to know where they're going they need to understand where they came from.  The school integrates many of the old Blackfeet ways into the classroom experience. From taking a cultural class, to saying the Blackfeet Flag Song at the beginning of the school day, the De La Salle Blackfeet School has found a way to incorporate the culture and heritage of these kids into the teachings and curriculum of a typical LaSallian school.

Joe and his son, 'Little Pine'
Coming here and spending time with the kids and guest speakers has taught me to value the things I have and appreciate the fact that I know my heritage. I understand now that we have come here to not only help in classroom activities but to act as role models for the kids. We're here to show the students where they can go from here. It seems like a big responsibility, to be an example of success and show that there are other roads to take. In the one week that we stay here and interact with the students, I understand that we wont be able to drastically change the futures of all the students. However, in the small interactions and impressions we make day to day with them, I believe that we are helping them in one way or another. Whether its giving our attention, or telling the kids about the world we come from, we are engaging in a mutual learning experience that is more than beneficial to both parties. I hope to continue to learn as much as I possibly can and hopefully teach the students about my own heritage and views of the world.

J. Constantin '12