Thursday, February 24, 2011

Making Big Impressions: The Spirit of The Blackfeet is Alive and Well



John Bruno
John Bruno looks beyond the surface in search of hope and inspiration:

Throw away any preconceived thoughts about the school, and the Blackfeet culture. Close your eyes and imagine a classroom. Imagine only about ten students, but imagine children that are so full of life, imagination, and laughter, that they make any child you know of that age look dull. Biased and arrogant students who embark on this journey into a new world would reflect by saying the kids aren't as bright, intelligent, or have any chance in the real world. Having spent time with these children I can honestly say they posses more character than any average sixth grader whom I've known. I am obsessed with their joy and up beat spirit they maintain even after all of the trials and tribulations their people and community have been through. When thinking about how awesome they are despite everything, it makes me wonder what kind of world I thought I was living in before the last few days. All of these things make if difficult to leave DLSBS at the end of the school day.

It makes me upset to think about how blind and ignorant some people are. As unfortunate as this is, I know some people that would probably take one look around DLSBS and criticize a kid's intelligence or certain lack of skills and never even take the time to get to know them. For me, I want to try so hard to make a lasting impression on these kids, even though I know it will be nearly impossible since they are influenced by different immersion groups on a weekly basis. Even sitting here as I type this I feel like I missing out on something that they're doing. I'd prefer to be around them constantly and make the most of every second I spend with them. As shallow as that sounds, I also don't want them to forget about me. I truly feel this way. If I fail to make a lasting impression, I'd feel like I did something wrong or didn't spend my time wisely enough.

In my attempts to interact, discuss, and teach them, one student in particular has made a great impact on me as well. As I observe and work with him in a few classes, I have easily picked up on the fact that he is naturally smart, clever, athletic, and most of all funny, as most of these kids are. Yes, they are behind and lack certain skills that most children have obtained at this particular age, but when you consider the lack of resources, services, and the proper learning environment that some have experienced for so long it is easy to see why. That being said, I firmly believe that they more than make up for it with their knowledge of their own history, culture, and overall high spirits. For all these reasons I can undoubtedly see myself loving to teach these kids everyday.

J. Bruno '12